(Family Features) Are you ready for a decorating change? A recent survey by the retailer HomeGoods found that while almost half of Americans haven't updated their home décor in the last five years, only 20 percent are happy with it. If that sounds like you, then it's time for some fresh ideas.
These budget-friendly decorating ideas from Glade, the worldwide leader in home fragrance, and Giuliana Rancic, entertainment journalist and style guru, make it easy to discover your personal style. All it takes to refresh a room are a few simple updates and your home will be ready for entertaining in no time.
Small Changes Add Up
"You don't have to redo a whole room," says Rancic. "Small changes like adding a new color or introducing a scent to a room really make a big difference. I love how the Glade Expressions fragrances not only match my design taste perfectly, but also help make my home feel welcoming and guest-ready by giving it that finishing touch of a signature scent."
- Start at the beginning.
The entryway of a home is the first thing guests see, so make sure it's impactful. Tidy up the outside area around the front door, and add some inexpensive pops of color with a planter full of seasonal flowers. On the inside, think about updating the walls with floral or damask wallpaper, or even a painted chevron pattern to add visual interest.
- Engage all the senses.
Sights, sounds, textures and scent all work together to complete the ambiance of a space. Try using soft lighting with lamps and dimmers for a warm and inviting atmosphere. Mix textures in the room by adding a soft throw to a modern, sleek sofa. Select a signature scent with one of the true-to-life fragrances from the new Glade Expressions Collection. The new fragrances combine classic scents with an exotic twist, and they're available in two contemporary designs to complement any room's décor. And for sound - think about tabletop fountains or a good music selection to play when you have guests. Rancic loves Frank Sinatra tunes for entertaining.
- Bring the outdoors in.
Live plants and flowers do wonders for a room. Lemon or orange tree topiaries are a popular way to add a natural pop of color. If you're not sure about taking care of live plants, you can easily find artificial ones that look natural. Silk bamboo plants come in all sizes and fit on a table top or fill up an empty corner in a room.
Personal Style Tips
Rancic recommends taking cues from the things you love to add elements that express your personality without having to do a floor to ceiling makeover. Here are some more of Rancic's ideas to get you inspired, which include fragrance options from the Glade Expressions Collection that complement different styles:
- Love sea breezes and a touch of the tropics?
Match this energy with a fresh coat of paint in a bright color like electric blue or Kelly green. Add a vivid printed rug and vases of tropical flowers. Put the final touches on the space with a teak bowl or vase full of lemons to add a pop of color and sparkle to the room. Scent: Pineapple & Mangosteen.
- Dream of world travel and far off places?
Go global, placing old maps and a magnifying glass on a side table and adorning the mantle with beautiful apothecary jars filled with spices. Add rich, velvet fabrics and pillows with colorful prints and a monogrammed throw for a personal touch. Scent: Fuji Apple & Cardamom Spice.
- Feel connected to nature?
Display elements from nature to add earthy touches to a room. Look for small terrariums, beautiful rocks and geodes, or even shells. Use natural fabrics, wood-wicked candles, and display sprigs of lavender and green leaves in ceramic vases or mason jars. Scent: Lavender & Juniper Berry.
- Wish you could visit the Mediterranean?
Freshen up sofas and chairs with crisp cotton slipcovers, and white, flowing sheers on the windows. Add a couple of bright pillows or a colorful throw for a warm and sunny feel. Look for a few decorative tiles that remind you of Italy or Greece, and set them out on display. Show off white floral bouquets that have a few pops of orange. Scent: Cotton & Italian Mandarin.
The first step in discovering your own style is to make a personal "styleboard." You can create one on a bulletin board, in folders or make a virtual one at www.facebook.com/glade.
- To create one at home, start by looking through magazines and websites and collect images of things you love, such as fashion, décor, or anything that catches your eye. Sort through the images and look for patterns. Do you find yourself drawn to clean lines and minimalistic décor, or do you see more traditional colors and furnishings? Is there a color that keeps popping up? This is a great way to narrow down your options when you are not sure of a style.
- On the Glade Facebook page, you can create an online styleboard to help you put together the perfect look and match it with a signature scent. Each personalized styleboard created on the application includes a Glade Expressions Collection fragrance, home furnishing suggestions, color and fabric swatches and music playlists - all of which can be shared with friends and family on Facebook. Glade has created hundreds of innovative scents in partnership with top fragrance houses and perfumers, so you can be sure to find an inspiring scent that's just right for you.