Gifts that Give Back
(Family Features) When you're doing your holiday shopping, keep an eye out for gifts that will not only put a smile on someone's face, but will benefit someone in need. From home d√©cor to jewelry and children's toys, you can buy gifts knowing that a portion of the proceeds will make a powerful difference in someone's life.
This year, UNICEF offers a wide variety of gifts that give back - letting you support programs that improve and protect the lives of children.
This year's holiday card collection includes the winning design from the annual Pier 1 Imports®/UNICEF Greeting Card Contest. It features children from all over the world holding hands around a tree, as a symbol of universal peace. You can find them exclusively at Pier 1 Imports.
In addition, you can buy UNICEF box cards at Pier 1 Imports, IKEA, Barnes & Noble, select Hallmark Gold Crown stores, and online at www.unicefusa.org. You also can buy individual cards at Barnes & Noble, select Hallmark Gold Crown stores and retailers nationwide.
Pier 1 Imports and IKEA will donate 100 percent of the purchase price of each holiday card pack; and IKEA will also donate an additional $1 per pack sold.
With 67 million children out of school around the world, partners IKEA and Gucci are supporting UNICEF's efforts to provide children with access to a quality education, and to help equip children with the knowledge and skills to shape better futures for themselves and their communities. You can support this effort with special purchases:
- IKEA "Soft Toys for Education Campaign"- This year's IKEA Soft Toys range in price from $.49 - $19.99. New to the soft toys family this year are forest friends from the VANDRING series, like a hedgehog, a bear and an owl hand puppet that encourage caring about our environment. Plus, they're characters in the IKEA FAMILY children's book, "The Hedgehog Leaves Home," written by Ulf Stark and illustrated by Ann-Cathrine. From Nov. 4 to Dec. 29, for every purchase from the "Soft Toys for Education Campaign" collection, the IKEA Foundation will donate one euro (approximately $1.30) to support UNICEF's and Save the Children's global education programs, including UNICEF's Schools for Africa initiative. Learn more at www.ikeafoundation.org.
- Gucci's Boston Bag and GG Flag Collection - Twenty-five percent of the retail price of each Gucci for UNICEF Boston handbag in alabaster micro Guccissima leather will benefit UNICEF's Schools for Africa and Schools for Asia initiatives in Malawi, Mozambique and China. You also can buy the exclusive t-shirts and accessories of the GG Flag Collection, which include wallets and handbags infused with the colors of flags from around the world. Gucci will donate 25 percent of the retail price of each item sold to UNICEF. The Flag Collection will be available through Dec. 31, and the Boston Bag through May 2013. Learn more at www.gucci.com.
New this year, HomeGoods will offer eight different styles of oversized limited edition ceramic piggy banks whose purchase will benefit vulnerable children around the world. For each limited edition piggy bank purchased from Nov. 23 - Jan. 31 at their stores nationwide, HomeGoods will donate 50 percent of the purchase price to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF to support UNICEF's lifesaving work for children.
Gifts That Inspire
- This season, you can purchase UNICEF Inspired Gifts in honor of your loved ones. Inspired Gifts are actual urgently needed products such as life-saving medical supplies, ready-to-eat therapeutic food, and polio and measles vaccines, delivered directly to children in need around the world.
- Available beginning Nov. 20 are special Holiday Bundles that include all the products to meet a specific need in an easy, accessible kit such as the Child Survival Food Pack and the Clean Water Kit.
- For each Inspired Gift, your loved one will receive a card explaining the purchase made in their name. For more information, visit www.inspiredgifts.org.
Finally, for those on the go, Delta Air Lines continues its 12-year tradition of offering SkyMiles members the option to donate miles to the U.S. Fund for UNICEF. Visit www.delta.com/skywish to donate miles and find more information.
To find out more, and to shop for holiday gifts that help others, visit www.unicefusa.org.