13 Legit Reasons to Volunteer at the Ronald McDonald House of Indiana
It's easy to sign up and make a difference in a family's life! Click here to sign up and join the “B’Cause We Care for Kids Volunteer Army” on Saturday, September 19, from 10 a.m. – noon, and be sure you check out the Facebook event page to let everyone know you're coming and invite your friends!
Why Take Time to Volunteer at RMHI:
1. Dedicating your time as a volunteer helps you make new friends, expand your network, and boost your social skills.
2. Volunteering at the House offers a wide choice of opportunities, flexibility to fit your schedule and the best benefit of all – the smiles and gratitude of families and their children.
3. Ronald McDonald House volunteers have a special opportunity to really get to know and become a part of families’ lives. They have the opportunity to share in the joy of a child’s cure, in the excitement of getting to go home, celebrating a birthday or reaching a milestone. The House is very much a “home-away-from-home” not only for families, but for many of the volunteers as well.
Why RMHI Needs Volunteers:
4. Volunteers save the House money, meaning fundraising dollars can be maximized to best serve families.
5. Volunteers register and check-out families, answer telephones, give House tours and assist in the day-to-day operation of the House by helping where needed.
6. The House is run by a very small staff and depends on volunteers to donate their time and talents to operate the House 365 days a year.
7. The Ronald McDonald House of Indiana serves over 5,000 families each year between two locations on Limestone Street and inside Riley Hospital. This requires a large number of people to provide the quality of comfort and care that each family deserves.
8. The Ronald McDonald House of Indiana values volunteer work at approximately $22.88 per hour. This means, for a typical 3-hour shift nearly $70 is saved that the House can use directly to provide a room for a family.
9. Volunteers provide all of the necessary guest services that make the Ronald McDonald House a "home-away-from-home."
10. The caring and cheerful Guest Service Volunteers of the House are often the first voices families hear on the telephone, the first smiling faces they see at the door, and the last ones they see when they head home.
11. Ambassadors help spread the word about the House’s mission and programs by giving presentations to local organizations and representing the House at community events.
12. “Meals that Heal” volunteers provide an invaluable service when preparing a meal for families. A home-cooked meal takes one worry away from the families served. Rather than spending time purchasing food and fixing a meal, families can concentrate on supporting and comforting their hospitalized child.
13. The services provided by the Ronald McDonald House volunteers, whether it’s checking families into the House or providing a meal after a long day at the hospital, help to provide comfort and care to families who are already going through so much.
Join the “B’Cause We Care for Kids Volunteer Army” on Saturday, September 19, from 10 a.m. – noon! The Volunteer Army will join together to bake cookies and fill “Going Home Bags,” generously donated by Thirty-One Gifts, with snacks, and a first meal to have at home to ease families’ minds once they leave the House.
Can’t come and volunteer? You can fill a virtual bag with your gift of $29! Click here to make your donation.