Make It Your Mission to Fight Heart Disease in Women
Heart disease is still the No. 1 killer of women, causing 1 in 3 deaths each year. This means women just like you – mothers, sisters, friends – are dying at the rate of one per minute because they don't know what you know: heart disease kills.
Heart disease has already touched you or someone you love, so help us save a woman's life today. Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women and stop the No.1 killer. The American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement asks you to bring your network into our network. Tell 5 women you want them to live, and we can help stop heart disease in our lifetime.
Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women. Give 5 women you care about the power to save their lives at GoRedForWomen.org.
REASONS TO BELIEVE
Why should I care?
- Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women age 20 and over, killing approximately one woman every minute.
- More women die of heart disease than the next four causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- ONE in THREE American women suffer from heart disease, but only ONE in FIVE believes she is personally at risk, thinking heart disease couldn't happen to "someone like me."
- Research shows that only about 50 percent of women are aware of the signs and symptoms of a heart attack.
- Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
- Only a little more than half of American women are likely to call 911 if experiencing symptoms. And yet, 79 percent of women said that they would call 911 if someone else was having a heart attack.
What can I do?
- Eighty percent of cardiac events in women may be prevented if they make the right choices for their hearts, involving diet, exercise and abstinence from smoking.
Why should I join?
Research shows that women who Go Red are more likely to make healthy changes in their lives. For example:
- More than one-third have lost weight.
- Nearly fifty percent have increased their exercise.
- Six out of ten have changed their diets.
- More than forty percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
- One-third have talked with their doctors about developing heart health plans.
MAKE IT YOUR MISSION TO FIGHT HEART DISEASE IN WOMEN
- Join us in our mission to fight heart disease in women by choosing to Go Red.
- Make It Your Mission to help end heart disease in our lifetime by donating to the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement.
- Tell 5 women you want them to live.
TELL 5 AND LEAD BY EXAMPLE
- Learn more about women and heart disease, and what you can do to become heart healthy at GoRedForWomen.org or Facebook.com/GoRed.
- Go Red. The American Heart Association asks you to wear your red dress pin proudly to show your support.
- Share your experience. Go to GoRedForWomen.org or visit us on Facebook to share your healthy choices and connect with women who are speaking up for women's heart health nationwide.
- Make a difference. Donations that fund life-saving research and educational programs are needed so that our daughters, sisters and mothers have a chance to fight the No.1 killer of women.
- Make It Your Mission to fight heart disease in women through donations to the American Heart Association's Go Red for Women movement.
- Make lifestyle choices to reduce your risk for heart disease. Take the Go Red Heart CheckUp to find out your risk of having heart disease in the next ten years.
- Be a BetterU. Go Red BetterU is the free, 12-week online nutrition and fitness makeover that can change your life. Choose to be a BetterU at GoRedForWomen.org.
- Take action. Visit GoRedForWomen.org to find your local American Heart Association office and see how you can get involved with Go Red For Women.
- Visit GoRedCorazon.org for information in Spanish and to learn about Go Red's initiatives in the Hispanic community.
- Learn CPR. Because 80 percent of cardiac arrests happen at home, the life you save with CPR is most likely to be a loved one. Learn Hands-Only CPR in just 60 seconds at GoRedForWomen.org.
Go Red For Women, powered by the American Heart Association's research, educates and connects millions of women of all ages. GoRedForWomen.org is the No. 1 online destination where women can learn how to make heart-healthy choices every day.
Go Red For Women is nationally sponsored by Macy's and Merck & Co., Inc.
© (2011), American Heart Association. Also known as the Heart Fund. TM Go Red trademark of AHA, Red Dress trademark of DHHS.
Keep your menu fresh by adding some new, heart-healthydishes from the American Heart Association.